Communications Apprenticeship APPLY NOW
Session One is from September- December
RespectAbility’s Communications Apprenticeship is designed for people who are interested in learning how to create effective and accessible social media content, or who are interested in website management, photo and video editing or graphic design. Our program is fully accessible for people with disabilities and offers full-time in-house job coaching, skills development and networking opportunities.
Prospective Apprentices should be proficient or have the desire to increase their skills in one or more of these areas:
- Social media outreach for business (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn) including analytics.
- Website management using WordPress.
- Photo editing and graphic design using Photoshop, Illustrator or InDesign (potential for video editing opportunities as well).
- Ensuring social media, websites, webinars, documents and presentations are accessible to people with disabilities.
- Writing blogs, press releases and news articles to promote authentic, diverse and inclusive media portrayals on TV and in film.
- Researching and publishing profiles on companies committed to hiring and retaining people with disabilities at all levels and individuals with disabilities who are extremely successful in their chosen career.
Who We Want
The National Leadership Program is ideal for people who want to gain media and communications skills and contacts while making a positive difference for people with disabilities. We are looking for creative, results-driven individuals who want to achieve breakthrough results while getting hands-on experience. The Apprenticeship is ideal for college seniors and graduate students, as well as for people transitioning into the workforce for the first time or back into the workforce after a break.
Communications Apprentices will work closely with our Marketing and Communications Director, Communications Associate and National Leadership Program Director. Individual projects will be assigned based on an individual’s unique skill set and their own ability to “bring something to the table.” Tasks might include writing blog posts, utilizing social media, designing graphics, and editing photos and videos. Communications Apprentices will join supervisors at virtual workshops and webinars that pertain to stigma and communications.
Each Apprentice will receive as many opportunities as possible to learn new skills, network and gain direct experiences. In addition to hands-on work experiences, all Apprentices will participate in special presentations by guest speakers and intensive strategic communications workshops. A career plan will be developed by each Apprentice that will enable them to gain appropriate workplace experience while contributing directly and measurably to RespectAbility’s impact.
Upon the completion of the Apprenticeship, graduates can expect to come away with excellent experience in the field of strategic communications, fair knowledge of issues for people with disabilities, and leadership skills to help them grow into confident advocates.
Important Details for Applicants
- Excellent communication and organizational skills are strongly preferred, and Apprentices should exhibit leadership skills to complete their own projects.
- Strong preference for college seniors and above.
- The Apprenticeship program lasts five and a half months.
- Hours are 9-5. Apprentices are required to work a minimum of 20 hours per week though more is appreciated and more hours per week is preferred.
- Apprentices will receive $15/hr.
- Your cover letter must explain why this Apprenticeship in particular is of interest to you and why you believe you have the skills, focus and independent drive to make a positive difference in your time with us at RespectAbility.
- A minimum commitment of 20 hours per week.
- Participation in staff meetings and team meetings.
- Attendance in weekly speaker series.
- Work with the National Leadership Program Director on advancing your career goals. This will include strengthening your resume, cover letter and building your professional network.
|||Remote or Virginia |||Respectability ||||||tepvh7HrK2hd56so|||TEMPORARY|||USD|||HOUR|||single|||15|||||||||true